I was reading one of my favourite cooking blogs the other day and EmmCee had posted about an "Enchanted Sponge Cake" and at the end of the post she asked that this recipe be kept going as it was an old recipe (originally from here , so I gave it a try today.
Enchanted Sponge Cake
2 eggs separated
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
2 extra tablespoons sugar
1 cup self raising flour
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Grease and line 2 x 7 inch tins with baking paper.
3. Place a pot of water on the heat and boil, then turn down to simmer. Put egg yolks, water and sugar into a heat proof bowl and place on top of water. Using a handheld mixer beat until mixture is thick and creamy (this may take 10 - 15 minutes).
4. In another bowl beat the egg whites and extra sugar until it becomes a soft meringue type consistency.
5. In a third bowl sift the flour and cocoa together. Add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture and fold gently.
6. Then add the meringue mixture and fold gently.
7. Pour batter evenly between the tins and bake for about 25 - 30 minutes.
8. When cooked, remove from tins and cool on a wire rack.
9. Serve with whipped sweetened cream and dust with icing sugar.
It is a lovely sponge cake, it has a slightly chewy texture, which I think comes from the meringue part of the recipe. I will definately be making this one again. Please give it a go if you have a chance and keep this old recipe going.
Mrs KT :)