Thursday, September 16, 2010

Raspberry Friands.

Along with macarons, friands are a great recipe that requires almond meal and egg whites as the main ingredients. Today I decided to use up some more of the half a kilo of almond meal I bought to make the macarons at the weekend.

A few years ago, pre children, I went on a health kick and friands provided the "something sweet" part of this eating plan. Trish from A Dream House for Trish, was my wonderful personal trainer, so she will have a little chuckle when she reads about these I am sure :) Unfortunately, the healthy eating plan doesn't really exist so much for me now!!


I searched the internet for a recipe and came across this one for Raspberry Friands. I am wondering now why I don't bake these more often as they are so simple to make, taste delicious and even freeze really well.



Now onto the recipe.

Raspberry Friands

Makes 12

Ingredients

175g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup almond meal, sifted
6 egg whites, lightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
1/2 cup plain flour, sifted
1 cup frozen raspberries



Method

1. Preheat oven to 180C and grease friand pan.
2. Place all the ingredients (except raspberries) into a large bowl and stir until just combined.
3. Spoon mixture into pan, the holes should be just over half full. Top with 3 raspberries.
4. Bake for about 25minutes until golden brown. Allow to stand in pan for about 5 minutes then turn onto wire rack to cool.






I now have 6 egg yolks leftover, so custard will be on the menu tonight served with a warm friand. Yummy :)

Mrs KT :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh katena, I did have a little giggle when I saw you had a post about friands, back in the day when that was the worst thing we would have ever eaten, I don't think we included all that butter though.Kids certainly change lifes focus. I think i may have to attempt this recipe, looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friands yum. I never make them as I always have a house full of yolks and no almond meal to spare, but yours look perfectly baked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooooove friands! Raspberries would be perfect to cut through the rich buttery goodness. I must try this combo next time :)

    ReplyDelete