Thursday, July 29, 2010

Fluffy Coconut Cupcakes.


I am in the process of finding a coconut flavoured cupcake that would be suitable to use for wedding cupcakes, so began the recipe trialling at the weekend. My friend, Gail, was kind enough to share some recipes with me. The first one was "Fluffy Coconut Cupcakes" from the Indulgence book.


Fluffy Coconut Cupcakes

Ingredients (Makes 36 patty pan sized cakes)

2 cups self raising flour
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1 cup castor sugar
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon natural coconut extract
125g unsalted butter, melted

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Line cupcake pan with papers.
3. Combine flour, sugar and coconut in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in the combined buttermilk, eggs, coconut extract and butter into the well and mix until combined.
4. Divide mixture evenly between the cases. Bake for about 12 minutes until golden. Transfer onto a wire rack to cool.


I used a simple buttercream icing on these cupcakes, but a coconut flavoured icing would compliment them nicely.





So the verdict on this recipe - the cupcakes had a nice, sponge like texture and were very tasty on the day they were made. I am a little fussy and didn't think they tasted as good the next day, but others who tried them really enjoyed them. I guess the recipe testing will have to continue, it is a hard job but someone has to do it!!!

Mrs KT :) 

4 comments:

  1. Ok how many cupcakes are you eating a week! I need you to be my neighbor! L xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily Leanne I have lots of willing taste testers, so not too many stay in our house to be eaten. The teachers at Oliver's preschool generally get some cake or cupcakes when I am testing new recipes! I would love you to be my neighbour too!!

    Thankyou Sharnel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there. I can HIGHLY recommend the 'Coconut Marshmallow Clouds' from Jennifer Graham's The Crabapple Bakery Cupcake Cookbook (page 69). Coconut cupcake with marshmallow frosting. Have made them many times - very nice. Let me know if you need the recipe - I can send it over.

    ReplyDelete